Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The Iron Rod

My mom is so cool.  For those of you that know her you already knew this, but for those who don't I'm just giving you a heads up.  As a missionary we are able to e-mail home to our family once a week.  My mom has faithfully written me each week of my mission.  This was part of the e-mail I received this week:

"Been thinking today about the iron rod (in Lehi's dream found in the Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 8 pg 14-16) - why iron?  why not any old rod?  Iron is so strong, unbendable and very durable.  Withstands a lot of forces like wind, fire, etc....   It can hold us when we cling to it with everything we have.  It is unbendable because the word of god does not change to "fit our fancy".  It is smooth and easy to grasp on to at times (but we can slip if we aren't mindful of things).  I imagine a bridge held up by rope that sways back and forth, etc... but an iron rod doesn't let us sway like a rope and it will take us directly back to God.  Decided a long time ago the words in the scripture are not by accident - it is iron because that is what he saw and it was suppose to be iron - not a rope, a reed, a path with no hand-rail - it is iron for a reason." 

I know that the scriptures are specific for a reason.  I know that the gospel doesn't change and it's not bendable.  The iron rod represents the word of God and it is strong, it will withstand time and trial.  Cling continually to the rod and be happy!  I am so grateful for the Book of Mormon and the many messages that we can learn from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment